Half-life…Ubik

In the other material that we covered I would have to say I was envious of characters experiencing the new aged technology.  Living through avatars, plugging in to cyberspace, and experiencing a different life. Ubik like the other materials introduced a new world. Some humans were able to read minds, predict the future and change the past.  Evolution enhanced humans with these mutations and talents. But there was the very present half-life that I did not like.  If it was a utopia then sure I’d be open minded to it. But based on the description its not, half-life is just a way to prolong life.  We see that the realm of half-life is not consistent. Jory is able to alter this reality. Before Joe realized he was in half-life he said “But for some reason—for one of several possible reasons—reality has receded; it’s lost its underlying support and its ebbed back to previous forms.”(153) Further Joe points out that within one day they regressed from two years to forty years. That’s one confusing reality so why not take your chances with an amoral womb. Jory, a young immature boy, constructed a reality in order to eat half-lifers.  Ella said and—there are Jorys in every moratorium. This battle goes on wherever you have half-lifers; it’s verity, a rule, of our kind of existence.” (207) We are not introduced to the other moratoriums but Dick informs us that this battle in half-life is not avoidable.  Half-life just isn’t to appealing to me.